Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Penne & Peppers

We have an ongoing pasta battle at our house. Steve loves pasta and I...don't love it. I just didn't grow up eating it really--we had spaghetti once in awhile and other than that we were more of a meat-and-potatoes kind of family. Anyway it's funny because we've had to start officially switching off choosing date night restaurants because as long as I'm picking, I never choose Italian. Haha!

But the thing is, I do cook pasta at home. Probably at least once a week and mostly because I know the kids will eat it (usually and they don't really like sauce yet) and Steve will like it. And to be fair, I don't hate it. In fact I don't mind it--I just tend to choose other things over it. So anyway, when I find a pasta recipe that I do like, I post it here because it will make everyone happy! This recipe was great and so easy! The kids did not want it with the sauce (except Keira did o.k.) Too bad for them though because they don't know what they're missing!

PENNE & PEPPERS
(originally found here)

1 lb. penne pasta
1 lb. Italian sausage
1 each green and red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
1 jar (26 oz.) spaghetti sauce (we like the Great Value Italian veggie sauce)
4 oz. (1/2 of 8-oz. pkg.) cream cheese
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese

Cook pasta as directed on package. Meanwhile, crumble sausage into large skillet; cook and stir on medium heat 8 min. or until done. Drain. Add bell peppers; cook and stir 5 min. or until crisp-tender. Stir in spaghetti sauce; cook 5 min. or until heated through. Add cream cheese; cook 2 min. or until melted, stirring frequently. Drain pasta. Add to sausage mixture; mix lightly. Top with Parmesan.

Delicious!

No comments: