I made this granola as a thank-you gift last year for my kids' primary teachers in my parents' ward (since we crashed there for 3 months and they were never officially on the rolls!) It was a big hit. I thought I had lost the recipe and couldn't remember exactly where I had found it online (although I want to say it was the Family Fun website?) but I just recently found where I had written it down and want to get it on here so it won't get lost again. And then I can't wait to go make some for myself!
There are times when I like soft granola (like when eating with milk for breakfast) and there are times when I want something crunchy to snack on or put on my yogurt or ice cream. This recipe is for the crunchy kind.
CRUNCHY HOMEMADE GRANOLA
4 cups rolled oats (or I used a 6-grain cereal in my granola gifts)
1 cup wheat germ
1 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup sunflower seeds (I'm not sure I used this in the gift)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil (or canola)
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup apple juice (you can use water or grape juice too)
6 oz. pkg. of Craisins or other dried fruit
Mix together oats, wheat germ, nuts, seeds, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Make a well in the center and add oil, honey and juice. Toss ingredients together, spread on a cookie sheet and bake for 40 minutes at 300 degrees, or until lightly browned. Stir every 10 minutes while baking and then let cool and then add Craisins.
Makes about 7 cups of granola.
No comments:
Post a Comment