Sunday, October 6, 2013

Crepes

My kids think I am pretty much the best mom ever when I make them crepes for dinner.  It's pretty much eating dessert for dinner so I'm not surprised they like it so much.  I don't make them too often but with General Conference this weekend it was a good time to pull out the old Crepes recipe.

Crepes can be tricky.  You need a small nonstick skillet.  A good nonstick skillet, not one where the nonstick is turning to stick.  Also you need a good recipe.  Crepes can make you tear your hair out in frustration if they aren't working.  This recipe is a good one and will save your hair.  I think the key is letting the batter sit in the fridge for at least 2 hours before cooking--somehow it holds it all together when cooking them.

Oh, also know that people (my kids, ahem) can eat a lot of crepes.  I ALWAYS double this recipe and it makes a lot, but one crepe doesn't go far when it comes to filling up tummies.  When I double the recipe it still fits into my blender.  Below is the original recipe, it's easy to double though.

CREPES
from "The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook"
(The instructions are kind of long because America's Test Kitchen is very thorough)

1 cup whole milk
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 large eggs
6 T. water
3 T. unsalted butter, melted, plus extra for pan
1/2 t. salt

1. Blend all of the ingredients together in a food processor or blender until smooth, about 4 seconds (I usually do it more like 15-30 seconds).  Transfer to a covered container and refrigerate the batter for 2 hours or up to 2 days. (I sometimes just keep it in the blender with the lid on in the fridge.)

2. Gently stir the batter to combine if it appears separated.  Heat an 8-inch nonstick skillet (or crepe pan) over medium heat for about 3 min.  Brush the pan bottom and sides very lightly with butter (it should sizzle when it hits the pan.)  When the butter stops sizzling, remove the pan from the heat, tilt the pan slightly, and pour 2 1/2 T. of the batter (I usually use not quite 1/4 cup) into the pan.  As the batter is poured, rotate the pan to swirl the batter evenly over the face of the pan before returning it to the heat.  Cook until the first side is spotty golden brown, 30-60 seconds.  Use a thin spatula to flip the crepe and continue to cook until the second side is spotty golden brown, about 30 seconds longer.  Transfer the crepe to a plate and let cool (you can stack crepes on top of each other).  Repeat with remaining crepe batter, brushing the pan with butter as needed (I don't usually need to do this after the initial time.)

Some of our favorite crepe fillings:

Strawberries
Honey
Whipped cream
Vanilla pudding (from the box or we like this homemade vanilla pudding sauce found here)
Bananas
Peaches (or peach syrup, yum)
Peanut Butter
Powdered Sugar
Nutella would be great but I haven't tried that in forever

The kids like to get creative in what fillings they combine.  Like peaches and peanut butter?!  But that's the great thing about crepes--there are no rules about what to put in them.  So go crazy!


No comments: