Ok, first thing's first. Raw eggs in ice cream. I know some people do it with no qualms whatsoever and some people would never dream of doing it in a million years. I'm kind of middle of the road. I let my kids taste raw cookie dough and everything, so I'm not especially squeamish about raw eggs. I did make this ice cream with raw eggs and I have to say, it was the creamiest, best homemade vanilla ice cream I've ever made. No joke. I tried it with egg beaters (which are closer to egg whites than egg yolks) before too, and that was also very good, just perhaps slightly more icy. I'm pretty sure I will use the raw eggs again, unless I'm making the ice cream for someone who is pregnant or has a compromised immune system or someone who really has a problem with raw eggs. But I'm not especially concerned with it.
{{UPDATE: Since this post I have tried cooking the raw egg mixture to kill any potential problems and it has been SO good. It takes a couple extra steps but is worth it if you want good ice cream and no raw eggs.}}
Now that being said. This stuff is good y'all. Really, really good. I've also made this base and mixed things in it, like chopped up oreos. Seriously divine.
One note: the recipe says it makes 1 quart and I'm pretty sure my ice cream maker is a 1 1/2 quart size but at the very end of mixing it starts to just overflow a little. Because it's just so creamy and fluffy after mixing I guess? I don't know why, but it's something to be aware of.
Also, I like to make this ice cream and then put it in the freezer to make it just a little harder. And it is still easy to scoop straight out of the freezer!
Anyway, go make this! And use eggbeaters if you don't want raw eggs. Or you can cook the ice cream mixture too, but I haven't tried it so can't vouch for the results. Or you can use pasteurized eggs (or pasteurize your own) if you're worried. Either way, try this!
RICH AND CREAMY VANILLA ICE CREAM
(from the book 101 Gourmet Ice Cream Creations for Every Craving by Wendy Paul)
Makes 1 quart (and a little more)
2 egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup 2% milk
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
Whisk together egg yolks and 1/4 cup sugar until the eggs are light yellow in color and fluffy. Whisk in the rest of the sugar.
Combine cream, milk, and vanilla extract, and whisk together until completely combined. Then chill in your fridge until cold, best if overnight.
Transfer your chilled cream liquid into your ice cream machine and make according to manufacturer's directions.
p.s. I have disregarded the instructions and just mixed everything together and then chilled it before with stellar results.
**To cook the base, heat all the ingredients except the vanilla in a pot until at least 160 degrees. Stir well while heating. Take off the heat and stir in vanilla. Let cool and chill mixture in refrigerator, then proceed with churning.
No comments:
Post a Comment