Monday, July 27, 2015

Fruit Salsa and Cinnamon-Sugar Tortilla Chips

My friend made this for book group and I started randomly craving it this summer.  I got all the ingredients and mixed up a batch and it definitely hit the spot.  It would be a great thing to make for part of a summer dinner party when you have friends or family over.  Two things to watch out for: the berries dye everything so my friend said to add them last.  I didn't bother this time and it did all kind of blend together, but I didn't mind.  Also, especially when using frozen berries, there is a lot of juice left on the bottom of the bowl.  You can strain it out if you want, just wanted to mention it so I remember next time I make it.

This is also a very versatile recipe.  Use whatever fruit sounds good and whatever colors work well together!

FRUIT SALSA

2-3 cups of chopped frozen mango (orange)
1 can crushed pineapple (yellow)
Kiwi (green) (I didn't have this so I didn't use it)
6 oz blueberries (can use frozen, I used fresh this time) (blue)
6 oz blackberries (can use frozen) (purple)
8 oz raspberries (can use frozen) (red)

Other suggestions: watermelon, cantaloupe, pomegranate, honeydew, oranges, apples, etc.

Mix all together and then add 1/2 T. white sugar, 1/2 T. brown sugar and a few squirts of lime juice.  Best chilled, can even freeze and then thaw before eating (it won't be as pretty, but will taste just as good).  *Berries dye everything so add those last.

CINNAMON-SUGAR TORTILLA CHIPS

Spray flour tortillas with butter-flavored cooking spray or brush butter on.  Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and cut into wedges.  Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.

No comments: