Friday, February 26, 2016

DIY Instant Cup a Noodle Soup

So there is a really nasty sickness going around lately and I had a couple friends feeling pretty sick.  So what's nice to bring sick friends?  Soup!  But instead of bringing a big thing of soup over I had the random idea to make a soup mix for them so they could make it when they felt like eating it.  Anyway, one idea led to another which led to me making homemade cup-a-noodle soup.  I like this idea and am planning on trying other variations in the future.  It turned out pretty tasty too!

CUP A NOODLE SOUP
(Chicken Noodle Version)
Based off the ideas found here - a good reference when making different versions

-Chicken base (I used 2 tsp. Orrington Farms Chicken Broth Base but the Better than Bouillon wet base would be good too I think)
-Cooked Chicken (I used rotisserie chicken but any cooked chicken would work)
-Frozen peas
-Carrots, grated
-Green onions
-Noodles (I used dry YakiSoba noodles but you could use refrigerated ones or any kind of pre-cooked al dente noodles)
-Other seasonings as desired (I bought some fresh dill but forgot to add it--oh the shame!)

If you use dry Yakisoba noodles, then soak them in hot water for a few minutes until soft.  Layer the rest of the ingredients in a pint jar (wide mouth makes it easier to assemble and eat from).  Start with the chicken base (2 tsp. if using Orrington Farms).  Then put the cooked chicken on top of that.  Layer frozen peas, shredded carrots and green onions.  Put soaked (and drained) noodles on top.  Screw on the lid and voila!  According to the interwebs, you can keep this in the fridge like this for 4 days or so.
To eat: pour hot water over the ingredients in the jar.  Stir it and let sit for a few minutes.  Then eat!  Tastes better than that stuff you buy from the grocery store!

*If you are experimenting with soups and flavors, there are certain ingredients that fare better stored separately (like in a baggie inside the jar) but refer back to here for more pointers with that.

No comments: