Sunday, July 9, 2017

Honey Lime Fruit Salad

This is my all-time favorite fruit salad. I pretty much don't ever make any other fruit salads anymore because I love this one so much.  I love it because it tastes fresh and fruity with a zip from the lime and honey but doesn't get lost in a heavy sauce or cream. And plus it's so unbelievably easy to make. You can easily change up the fruit that's in it too. I've added blueberries before or just played around with the different amounts of fruit.  Yum!


HONEY LIME FRUIT SALAD
(from Mel)

INGREDIENTS:

1 (20-ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained well, or about 1 1/2 to 2 cups chopped fresh pineapple
1 (15-ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained well
2 to 3 ripe kiwi fruit, peeled and chopped into bite-size pieces
1 cup green grapes, halved (or left whole is fine if they aren't huge)
1 cup strawberries, quartered
Zest from one lime, about 1/2 tablespoon
1 to 2 tablespoons honey
1/2 to 1 teaspoon poppy seeds (optional - I prefer not to use these)

DIRECTIONS:

Combine the fruit in a serving bowl. Add the lime zest and toss.
Drizzle the honey over the fruit and gently mix until the fruit is evenly coated. Sprinkle the poppy seeds on top and toss to combine.
Serve immediately or within an hour.

Tip: The pineapples and mandarin oranges need to be drained well so the fruit juices don't pool as much in the bottom of the bowl, so sometimes I'll have them drain in a strainer for quite awhile before assembling the rest of the salad.

No comments: