Thursday, September 28, 2017

Baked Egg Muffins

We have been eating oatmeal twice a week for breakfast for years now. I have one child who happens to dislike oatmeal, even after eating it (or in her case, sorta tasting it) for all these years! So I promised her that this year I would try some new breakfast recipes that I can substitute for oatmeal now and then.  I'm still going to serve up oatmeal cause it's healthy and easy and cheap! But I'll probably work some new recipes into the rotation too.

So maybe it was just fate that at a recent craft fair I saw that someone was selling their own personal breakfast cookbook. I browsed through it and thought this could be just what I need! Breakfast recipes written by someone a lot like me--an mom of a big family who loves hot breakfasts and wants to serve up healthy and quick recipes every morning to her family so we can start the day off right! So of course I bought it.

I'm going to try to save our favorite recipes here for easy access. So here's one we tried today that was a hit with everyone. It might not be quite as healthy as oatmeal, but it's not bad! I made a few changes, so this my slightly altered version.

BAKED EGG MUFFINS
(from What's for Breakfast? cookbook, p.102)
Serves 8

9 eggs
2 T. water
1/4 t. salt
1/8 t. pepper
4 slices provolone cheese
8-16 slices ham
8 english muffins
Miracle Whip

1. Heat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Whisk together eggs, water, salt and pepper.
3. Pour into 9x13 dish that has been coated with cooking spray.
4. Bake 15-20 min or until eggs are set.
5. Remove from oven and cut into 8 squares. Top each square with half a slice of provolone cheese (it'll melt into the egg a little) and cover with 1-2 slices of ham.
6. Cut muffins in half and toast. Spread each side with a little miracle whip and then sandwich eggs between muffin halves.

No comments: