This year we are giving hot chocolate mix out to neighbors as gifts! I opted for the peanut butter version just to have something different from your average hot cocoa. I don't love hot chocolate, but I've tried the normal and peanut butter versions of this and they are good! I used all dutch processed cocoa since I found a killer deal on it in the bulk bins at Winco, so that's the only kind I've tried in this recipe. Also I've heard that it's super important to use powdered milk you like. We use Great Value a lot for this and I can faintly taste that it's powdered milk but it's not overpowering. I haven't taste tested a lot of brands to be able to compare them.
RICH AND CREAMY HOT CHOCOLATE MIX
3 c. nonfat dry milk powder (It's important to use a brand you like the taste of! We use Great Value from Walmart usually)
2 c. powdered sugar
1 1/2 c. Dutch processed cocoa powder (or a mix of this with normal cocoa like Hershey's)
1 1/2 c. white chocolate chips (make sure these are white chocolate, not candy wafers or anything like that)
1/4 t. salt
In a heavy duty blender or food processor, chop up the chocolate chips until they are in small pieces. Mix all ingredients including chips in a bowl. Working in a couple batches, put the mix back into the blender and pulse until a uniform powder.
To make the chocolate: Whisk 1/3 cup of mix into 1 cup hot milk. Enjoy!
Variation #1: Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate - use peanut butter chips instead of white chocolate chips
Variation #2: Raspberry Hot Chocolate - use white chocolate chips, add 1 box (3 oz) of raspberry jello and reduce powdered sugar to 1 1/2 cups.
The variations are really endless depending on flavors of the baking chips you try. You can also experiment by using different flavor coffee creamers to replace part of the milk powder. You could also try different flavors of pudding mix to make different flavors. I'm hoping to try some of those variations sometime!
No comments:
Post a Comment