Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Cream-Filled Pumpkin Cupcakes

Even though there were kids who didn't love these cupcakes, I am going to add it on to here because I thought they were great! I lowered the sugar from the original so I didn't have any collapsing issues and they baked up so rounded and pretty! I also like that they weren't too sweet because the filling is sweet enough to make up for any missing sugar in the cake. The original recipe didn't call for any icing on the top of the cupcakes but then you're left with a bit of a hole where you piped in the filling. Not a big deal but they are prettier with something on top. I had enough leftover filling to be able to put a little on top of each cupcake so it worked out well.  This filling recipe would be great in other filled cupcake recipes as well--I'll probably try it in chocolate sometime!

CREAM-FILLED PUMPKIN CUPCAKES
(recipe adapted from the one found here)

INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 cups sugar
¾ cup vegetable oil (I used canola)
1 (15 oz) can pumpkin
4 eggs
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
FILLING:
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1 cup milk
½ cup shortening
¼ cup butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract, optional (I used this)

Instructions
In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, oil, pumpkin and eggs. In another bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder and cinnamon together; add to pumpkin mixture and beat until well mixed.
Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350 degrees for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
For filling, combine cornstarch and milk in a small saucepan until smooth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature.
In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening, butter and confectioners' sugar. Beat in vanilla if desired. Gradually add the cornstarch mixture, beating until light and fluffy. Use a long filling tip to poke into cooled cupcakes and fill until cupcakes starts to bulge. Can use leftover filling to lightly frost tops of cupcakes if desired.

Yield: 24 cupcakes

No comments: