Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Ham and Potato Soup



Yum, yum, yum! I really love this soup. It is just so creamy and potato-y and perfect comfort food for these cold winter days! I had made this before but then forgot about it, but I will definitely be making it again soon. We had the leftovers for lunch today and it was still delicious. It would be perfect with homemade rolls (we had some homemade bread to go with it.) The verdict for the kids was: so-so. Jackson ate some of his and Autumn wouldn't touch hers. She's big into vocalizing her dislike of food these days. "I no like it!" she insists. She also says a lot, "I no like beans!" which is funny because she does like some things with beans in them and she also says that for a lot of dishes without beans (like this soup.) Silly girl, she'll grow up someday and see how wonderful potato soup can be on a cold day.

I think I got this recipe off allrecipes.com a long time ago, but I'm not sure. Somewhere out there on the internet. You really can't mess it up either--I don't really measure my potatoes, celery, onion and ham, I just go with what looks good.

HAM AND POTATO SOUP
possibly from allrecipes.com, submitted by Ellie11

3-1/2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
1/3 cup diced celery (can also use carrots with celery)
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
3/4 cup diced cooked ham
3-1/4 cups water
2 T. chicken bouillon granules
1/2 t. salt, or to taste
1 t. ground white or black pepper, or to taste (I only used 1/2 t.)
5 T. butter
5 T. flour
2 cups milk

1. Combine the potatoes, celery, onion, ham and water in a stockpot. Bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 10-15 min. Stir in the chicken bouillon, salt and pepper.

2. In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour with a fork, and cook, stirring constantly until thick, about 1 min. Slowly stir in milk as not to allow lumps to form until all of the milk has been added. Continue stirring over med-low heat until thick, about 4-5 minutes.

3. Stir the milk mixture into the stockpot and cook soup until heated through. Serve immediately.

1 comment:

~ Roxanne said...

I think it would be really hard to mess up a combination of ham, potatoes, and onions :0}