Thursday, January 15, 2009

I'm kinda sorta back...



Hello all my faithful readers. (All 3 of you!) I've been MIA for a couple of months since I've been so so sick with this pregnancy and I couldn't really approach the kitchen during that time. Now things are starting to look up--I can cook in the mornings just fine and as long as I take it really easy, I'm starting to be able to make dinners again too. It still depends on the dinner and the type of preparation it requires, but I'm getting there.

One thing I just wanted to record for myself mostly for future times of pregnancy or sickness or inability to cook meals for whatever reason was this:

101 USES OF A ROTISSERIE CHICKEN
(ok, so I don't have that many, but I do have a few)

The last few weeks we've gotten sick of fast food and take-out and so have tried to be creative with how to make a homemade dinner without really making anything. Sound tricky? It was...until we discovered the rotisserie chicken. I can buy a rotisserie chicken in the morning when all is well and shred up the meat from it and stick it in the fridge and we can get a good 3 dinners out of that meat! I think when I'm feeling even better I'll try roasting my own chickens in our oven occasionally as well (because those whole chickens are so cheap!)

Anyway, here are a few of the meals we made from the chicken meat:

*Chicken Quesadillas
*Hawaiian Haystacks
*Pasta with Chicken, Alfredo Sauce and Peas
(Any other pasta variation with chicken would be great too)
*Chicken Fried Rice

I haven't made these with rotisserie chicken meat but I know it would work also with:
*Enchiladas
*Chicken Crescent Roll-ups
*Lots and lots of other stuff

Hmmm...there might be a few more to add to the list of meals we made, but I'm suffering from pregnant brain and so my memory has been cut drastically short. The great thing about those meals was that they were so quick that I didn't have time to get sick or if I was too sick they were easy enough to guide Steve through (if he needed it...and from another room) and they were just easy easy easy. I'll definitely be relying on the good ol' rotisserie chicken in the future (and hopefully I'll save some money by roasting my own chickens when I get to that point.)

1 comment:

~ Roxanne said...

Jim likes to use rotisserie chicken with soft tacos and in chicken noodle soup in the slower cooker.