Thursday, January 15, 2009

Popular Muffins



I don't know whether it was because these were the first baked goods I've made for weeks or what, but these muffins were a hit today in our house. I don't think it's the basic muffin recipe that we loved so much, but the combination of the streusel topping and the jam inside was just tasty. There was nothing like a below-freezing snow day to get me baking again! (Yes, we actually had a little snow!)

POPULAR MUFFINS
(from Jill Jackson in the Centennial Ward cookbook)
My variation was with wheat flour and blackberry preserves inside.

1 egg
1 cup milk
1/4 cup oil
2 cups flour (1 cup white, 1 cup wheat)
2 t. baking powder
1/4 cup sugar
1 t. salt
Seedless blackberry preserves

Nut Crunch Topping:
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup broken nuts (I used walnuts)
1/4 t. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease bottoms of 12 muffin tins or use paper baking cups. In a mixing bowl, beat egg slightly with a fork. Stir in milk and oil. In separate bowl, measure and blend the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add all at once to the liquid ingredients. Stir just until combined--don't overmix. Fill cups 1/2 full. Drop 1 t. jelly in center of each and then add batter to fill cups to 2/3 full. Mix ingredients for topping together and sprinkle on muffins. Bake for 20-25 min. (only 20 in our oven) Remove to cooling rack. Best when warm!

2 comments:

Jim and Sue said...

Hooray! More recipes! Glad you are feeling better!

~ Roxanne said...

Sound yummy! I bet it would be great with almost any jam :0}