No picture for this one! You'll just have to use your imaginations.
I found this recipe on a cooking blog (I love those things!) and decided I would try it out. It's healthy and easy and makes a great weeknight dinner. We'll be having these again in the future! I did make a few changes to the original recipe, so you can go here to see the original. But shhh...don't tell Steve that it's healthy and especially that it has ground turkey instead of ground beef. I could only tell a little difference because I made it, but he didn't suspect (which is rare for him!) and I've learned not to tell him when I make something "healthy."
SKINNY CHIMICHANGAS
(adapted from fulltummies.blogspot.com, which then credits it to "Take-Out Tonight!")
1 lb. ground turkey breast
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 t. chili powder
2 t. dried oregano
1 t. cumin
1 (15-oz.) can tomato sauce
1 small can diced green chilis
2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I've heard that if you use sharp cheddar cheese, you can get away with using less cheese for the same amount of cheesy flavor--maybe I'll try that next time.)
8 (8-inch) flour tortillas
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray; set aside. Cook turkey, onion, garlic, chili powder, oregano, and cumin in medium skillet over medium-high heat. Break up and cook turkey until browned, about 6 min. Stir in the tomato sauce and chilies; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until the flavors are blended and the mixture thickens slightly, about 5 min. Remove from heat and stir in cheddar cheese. Meanwhile, warm tortillas, either in microwave or oven. Spoon about 1/2 cup of filling into center of each tortilla. Fold in the sides, then roll to enclose the filling. Place the chimichangas, seam-side down, on the baking sheet. Lightly spray the tops of the tortillas with nonstick spray (confession: I used melted butter). Bake until golden and crisp, about 20 minutes. Do not turn. Good with sour cream on top!
No comments:
Post a Comment