Sunday, October 4, 2009

Whole Grain Oatmeal Waffles

I love breakfast foods! My favorite meal of the day by far. I am always on the look out for good breakfast recipes to include in our rotation. We love waffles in this house but most waffles are not very healthy and leave you feeling hungry a little while after breakfast. I still love those kinds of waffles, but I found this recipe that is also really, really good. It is really healthy and I LOVE the flavor and it is surprisingly light for being a wheat-and-oats type of waffle. Also, a couple of these babies kept me full all through the morning--no mid-morning munchies! In our waffle maker it didn't come out crisp and airy, though, just more of a softer waffle. But it is still super good and we'll be making it again soon!

WHOLE GRAIN OATMEAL WAFFLES
recipe originally found here

2 eggs, beaten
2 cups buttermilk
1 cup oats
1 T. molasses
4 T. vegetable oil (or canola)
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 t. salt
1 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
milk, to thin

Mix eggs and buttermilk. Add oats and mix well. Stir in molasses and oil. Combine dry ingredients and stir into egg mixture (ok, so I just dumped the dry ingredients in without combining them first.) If too thick, thin with a little milk. Cook in your waffle maker as usual. Yum!

Update: I changed the amount of oil from 1 T. to 4 T. and it helps the waffles come out a little crisper.

No comments: