Thursday, January 7, 2010

BEST BBQ Chicken Salad

I have lots of good recipes to post, but I can't even keep up with the family blog and this poor recipe blog has been severely neglected. So let me try to remedy that by offering a really, really yummy recipe. I loved this salad. It reminded me of the Mesquite Chicken Salad you can get at Chilis. Yum! I based this concoction off of the salad recipe found here and found the black bean recipe here. Try this out! You won't be disappointed.

BEST BBQ Chicken Salad

Shredded chicken (from rotisserie chicken or cook and shred your own)
BBQ Sauce (use good stuff--we used Sweet Baby Ray's)
Chopped Lettuce
1 can corn, drained
Cilantro, chopped
Roma tomatoes, diced
Avocados, diced
Shredded cheddar cheese
1 recipe black beans (see below)
red pepper, chopped
Crushed tortilla chips (or make crispy tortilla strips like in original recipe)
Ranch dressing

Toss chicken in BBQ sauce. Layer on all the ingredients that you like! (It's best with a little bit of everything!) Top with crushed chips and ranch dressing.

Recipe for yummy black beans:

1 (15 oz) can black beans
1 (10 oz) can diced tomatoes (I used Rotel)
1 T. fresh lime juice
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro

Put all in medium saucepan. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low and cook for about 12 minutes. Eat as a Mexican side or use in salad above!

No comments: