Thursday, January 7, 2010

Bacon and Tomato Pasta

This pasta was rich and really, really good. Not good for you, but oh-so-good. In Steve's words: "This is the best thing you've made in a long time." I wasn't sure whether to take that as a compliment or insult! He reassured me that he meant it as an ultimate compliment because everything I make is so good. Yeah, hmmm. Anyway, it really is good. I found it when I was looking for a way to use up some bacon I had already cooked and crumbled (I usually cook bacon in large amounts so I don't have to fry it very often.) So if you're not dieting, try this!

BACON AND TOMATO PASTA
from Eat at Home blog here)

1 lb. pasta (penne or whatever floats your boat)
2 T. butter and 2 T. olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup white cooking wine
1-1/2 cups half & half
1-1/2 cups parmesan cheese (shredded)
salt & pepper (I just added pepper, no salt needed)
bacon, cooked and diced (I used about 1/2 lb.)
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
fresh basil leaves, chopped (or just sprinkle some dried in like I did)

Boil pasta. Melt butter and olive oil together in a pan and add onion and garlic. Cook until onion is tender (I added the garlic after the onion started cooking so I wouldn't burn it.) Add the cooking wine and cook for a minute or two. Add the half & half, whisking to blend. Stir in the cheese and let it melt. Season with salt and pepper. Toss in bacon, tomatoes and basil. Drain pasta and then toss with sauce. Prepare yourself for ultimate goodness.

1 comment:

Angel Kae said...

I'm gonna make this one this week!