Many people have experienced the yumminess of Texas Caviar--a bean and veggie marinated dip. We really like it around here and when the weather is as hot and humid around here as it has been lately, we like to take the dip to the next level and turn it into a main dish salad and call it dinner. I love it because I don't have to turn on the oven or stove and it makes a huge batch so we can snack on it and eat it all week. The kids won't eat it, but Steve loves it and so do I!
TEXAS CAVIAR turned SALAD
(I got the Texas Caviar recipe from my mom and was also inspired by her with some of the changes to turn it into a salad)
2 cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
1 can shoepeg corn, drained (I don't know what that is, I just use normal corn)
1 can black olives, coarsley chopped
1 large green pepper, diced
1 bunch scallions, chopped
6-7 Roma tomatoes, chopped
1 red pepper, diced (I use one if they are cheap enough and then don't use as many tomatoes)
1 block feta cheese, crumbled (I usually sub mozzarella cheese)
1 bottle Italian dressing (I don't use a whole bottle, just eyeball it)
1/2 a rotisserie chicken, meat chopped up
lettuce
tortilla chips
Ranch dressing
Combine all except the last three ingredients. Refrigerate overnight or at least a few hours. Serve on top of lettuce and tortilla chips and drizzle with ranch dressing. Enjoy eating something that tastes fresh but is filling while sitting in a nice, cool kitchen!
No comments:
Post a Comment