Monday, January 3, 2011

30-minute rolls

Since this is the first time I made a dozen rolls to go with a meal and there was not a single roll left by the end, I better post this recipe. We get out of church at 4 p.m. and everyone is pretty hungry by the time we get home (especially on Fast Sundays, like this week.) So that doesn't leave a whole lot of options for rolls with a Sunday dinner. I thought I would try this 30-minute version out and see what happened. And like I said, not a roll was left over. I have to say, these seem more like really tender, light biscuits almost--they definitely have a different texture than normal risen rolls. And they are very, very delicate. But warm out of the oven with some butter and jam--YUM. We'll definitely make these again some Sunday after church.

30-Minute Roll (1 dozen version)
(from realmomkitchen, here)

1 1/8 cups plus 2 tsp. warm water
1/3 cup oil
2 T yeast
1/4 cup sugar or honey
½ tsp. Salt
1 eggs
3 ½ cups flour

Mix 1st 4 ingredients and let rest for 15 minutes. Add salt and eggs – gradually add flour. Shape into dinner rolls, or use in your favorite recipe that calls for dough. After shaped, let rest for 10 minutes. For rolls, Bake 10 minutes @400 degrees ‘till golden brown.

(I ended up letting them rest more like 15 min. and baking them for 12 min. or so. I also brushed the rolls with butter when they came out of the oven.)

No comments: