Monday, January 3, 2011

Oahu Curried Chicken

Now that I'm all caught up on our family blog, I'm going to make an effort to add some of the recipes we've loved using lately but haven't posted. I don't have pictures for now, so anyone craving pictures of food, go find one of those fancy cooking blogs. : )

If you like the flavor of curry, then this is a great, family-friendly recipe which is easy to whip up quickly (especially if you have cooked chicken in your freezer!) We had it at my mom's once and it came out of some random cookbook. I've made a few adjustments and we've never tried any of th
e garnish options. Some of them sound a little crazy to me. Anyway, I had written as a note with this recipe that it could use a little kick. I think I've added a little hot sauce before to help kick it up a notch (although I don't want to make it too spicy for the kids' sake.) Maybe a dash of cayenne pepper? It's up to you.

OAHU CURRIED CHICKEN
adapted from Grandma's Recipe Box

1-2 cups Roasted chicken (just throw in however much you want)
1 can coconut milk
3 T. butter
3 T. flour
1-2 t. curry powder (I tend to add closer to 2 t.)
salt and pepper to taste
1/8 t. MSG (optional)

1.Cut up chicken, set aside.
2.Make the cream sauce: melt the butter in a heavy pan, stir in the flour with a wire whisk. Add the spices and milk, continue stirring till mixture thickens. Add a little of the chicken drippings for flavor (if you have a rotisserie chicken just pour in a little juice from the bottom of the container.)
3.Add cup of chicken and simmer about 15 min.
4.Serve with rice.

Garnish options: chopped peanuts, raisins, chopped bacon, chopped hard boiled egg, French fried onion or fresh chopped, grated coconut, or chutney.

No comments: