Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Stabilized Whipped Cream *2 versions*

I have a little girl who doesn't love sweet things.  I know, it's a little crazy.  She takes a bite of a lot of desserts and then proclaims, "I don't like it."  Well it was her birthday recently and she wanted cake and ice cream.  Or at least she thought she wanted it!  So I knew she wasn't crazy about normal buttercream frosting, and to be honest, I'm not either, so I went on a search for something lighter and less sweet to top her cupcakes.  That's what led me to find a recipe for stabilized whipped cream.  Sounds more like a science experiment than a frosting, doesn't it?  Well it's basically a sweetened whipped cream that is "stabilized" with gelatin so that you can pipe it on to cakes or desserts and it manages to hold it's shape without doing the droopy/melty thing whipped cream does.

Result: I really liked it.  My little girl was not a big fan.
Oh well, I tried, right?
I still wanted to get the recipe down so I can find it again though, cause I loved the lighter option!

STABILIZED WHIPPED CREAM
(adapted from here)
Makes 2 cups

1 t. unflavored gelatin
4 t. cold water
1 c. heavy whipping cream
1/4 c. powdered sugar

In small, microwave-safe bowl, combine gelatin and cold water.  Let stand until thick.  Warm in microwave for 15-20 seconds.  Stir gelatin, making sure it dissolved.  Let cool slightly but not set up.  Whip cream with sugar until slightly thick (soft peaks stage.)  Add a T. or two to gelatin mixture to temper it and mix well.  Add gelatin mixture to cream while mixing on low.  Then whip on high speed until stiff peaks stage.  Then pipe on to your dessert!

*I added food coloring (in gel form) to mine and it worked well--I added it to the cream and sugar stage (when it is first being beaten.)  You could also add vanilla or another extract to flavor the topping if you want.  Or you could use flavored gelatin (Jello) and try flavoring it that way too!

VERSION #2 Also makes a great substitute for Cool Whip!
This version is easier but has the specialty ingredient of E-Z Gel (or modified corn starch), which I always have on hand anyway so it's perfect for me!
(recipe found here)

1 pint whipping cream
1/2 cup powdered sugar (to taste)
1/8 teaspoon salt (original recipe calls for 1/4 t. so adjust according to taste)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons E-Z Gel

Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer, or a large mixing bowl. Whip until thick and creamy. Store uneaten whipped cream in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.

This seems to make maybe the equivalent of a big container of cool whip so maybe half the recipe if you only need 8 oz. worth. Or just make the full amount and enjoy its whipped-up goodness!

No comments: