Friday, January 1, 2016

Creamy Chicken and Vegetable Chowder

I checked this book out from the library and we tried this recipe and everyone ate it up, which always means I should make it again!  I love how full of vegetables it is and it gets its creaminess from pureed cauliflower!  Of course there was a cauliflower shortage or something when I was making this and Steve checked 3 stores for some before finding some (and we paid $12 for 2 heads!!)  So next time I make this will be when it's back on shelves for a decent price.

CREAMY CHICKEN AND VEGETABLE CHOWDER
(source: 400 Calories or Less with Our Best Bites cookbook)

1 1/2 t. olive oil
2 cups diced onion
4-5 cloves garlic, chopped
4 cups chicken broth
6 cups chopped cauliflower (about 1 1/2 heads)
1 1/2 t. kosher salt
1/2 t. pepper
1 (12 oz) can nonfat evaporated milk
1 (12 oz) bag frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, peas, green beans)
12 oz shredded cooked chicken breast (about 3 cups) - can also use canned
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

1. Heat a large stockpot to medium heat.  Add olive oil and onion.  Saute, stirring often, 2-3 minutes, until softened.  Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds more, until fragrant.
2. Add chicken broth, cauliflower, salt, and pepper.  Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.  Cover with lid and simmer about 10 minutes, until cauliflower is very tender and easily sliced with a fork.
3. Remove pot from heat.  Either use an immersion blender (my preference) or transfer mixture to an upright blender, in batches, if necessary for size constraints. (Be really careful blending hot liquids--remember don't put the lid on tight!)
4. Return mixture to pot and turn to medium heat.  Add evaporated milk and vegetables.  Bring to a low simmer.  Add chicken and stir to heat through.  Remove pot from heat and stir in cheese.

No comments: