These were really, really good! I was looking for a way to use up some leftover grilled chicken and I decided to make burritos. I didn't intend on making copycat Chipotle restaurant burritos, but they sure turned out tasting like them! Don't leave out the chipotle chile because that's what gives it such a distinct flavor--and it also gives it some spice so if you don't want a lot of spice, don't put as much sauce from the can in. Also I used brown rice instead of white and it tasted just as good to me. I used leftover grilled chicken and I think it being grilled made it even better but the original recipe calls for a rotisserie chicken so I imagine you can use any kind of cooked chicken. And last, the guacamole is optional, but really, it is better with it (or at least some avocado!)
Oh and this meal was so fast! I had made the rice earlier and so everything was just ready to go! Definitely going to make these again!
CHIPOTLE CHICKEN BURRITOS
(recipe originally from food network)
Makes 4 (I think it makes more--this was enough for my whole family)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3/4 cup pico de gallo or fresh salsa (I used fresh salsa)
1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, chopped, plus 1 to 2 tablespoons sauce from the can
1 14 -ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 cups cooked chicken or rotisserie -- I used leftover grilled chicken from the freezer
1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
Kosher salt
Burrito-size flour tortillas (the biggest size)
1 1/3 cups cooked white or brown rice, warmed
1 1/3 cups shredded monterey jack cheese (about 5 ounces) (I might also try pepper jack sometime)
1 1/3 cups shredded romaine lettuce
Guacamole, for serving (optional--but delicious)
Directions
Heat the vegetable oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 cup pico de gallo, the chopped chipotle, and adobo sauce to taste; cook until the mixture starts to sizzle, about 2 minutes. Add the beans and 3/4 cup water; bring to a low boil, then stir in the chicken and cook until the mixture is slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in the cilantro and season with salt.
Heat the tortillas as the label directs. Arrange the rice horizontally in the lower half of each tortilla, leaving a 1 1/2-inch border on all sides. Top evenly with the cheese, chicken mixture, lettuce and the remaining pico de gallo.
Fold the bottom edge of each tortilla snugly over the filling, tuck in the sides and roll up tightly. Cut the burritos in half and serve with guacamole.
No comments:
Post a Comment