Thursday, January 5, 2017

Instant Pot Pressure Cooking General Guide

I was lucky enough to get a pressure cooker for Christmas and jump on the Instant Pot bandwagon.  I got a 8 quart since our family is pretty big and I tend to cook big batches of things.  I'm writing this post so that I have a reference guide.  It's trial and error trying to find the right pressure settings and times to cook things perfectly.  So once I find it I want to make sure I remember.  So this will always be changing.

PRESSURE COOKING - INSTANT POT

Hard Boiled Eggs - High Pressure - 1 c. water - Manual 5 min. - NR 5 min then quick release

Corn on the Cob - High Pressure - 1 c. water - Manual 3 min. - NR or Quick Release

Chicken breasts - High Pressure - 15 min is too long

"Baked" Potatoes - High Pressure - 15 min is too short for fairly big potatoes

Potatoes for Mashed Potatoes - High Pressure - 1 1/2 cups water - Manual 15 min. - Quick Release
(peel and quarter potatoes)
 OR fill with water 1 inch above potatoes (not exceeding max line) - Manual 8 min. - Quick Release

Black Beans - 8 cups dried beans, rinsed and sorted - put beans in pot and cover with water almost to max line - add 1 T. onion powder, 2 t. garlic powder, 2 t. salt, 1 bay leaf, some chicken bouillon (6 t. or so) - High Pressure - Manual 40 min. - Natural Release 20 min. then Quick Release
*Note: this is for unsoaked beans, it will take less time if you soak the beans overnight first


SLOW COOKING - INSTANT POT

"Roasted Vegetables" - High - 4 hours too long, try 3 hours next time

No comments: