Monday, March 12, 2018

Key Lime Pie

I had a strange craving for this so made it on a whim since we had all the ingredients. It was a nice blend of tart and sweet and was delicious! I thought my kids might not like it because of the tartness but they begged for seconds! So I thought I would just keep this recipe as my go-to lime pie recipe and that way I won't have to hunt one down next time we get a hankering for it! (Also I guess this pie is cheating cause it doesn't actually use key limes...but it tastes delicious so who cares?)

KEY LIME PIE
Serves 8
(from here)

For the crust:
6 T. butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 cup crushed graham crackers (about 10 or so full size crackers)

For the filling:
4 large egg yolks
14 oz sweetened condensed milk
1 lime (zest + juice)
1/4 cup key lime juice (Nellie & Joe's Key West Lime Juice is preferable!)
2 teaspoons lime zest
Whipped topping to garnish

Instructions
For the crust:
Melt butter, add sugar and then add crushed crackers.
Spread evenly into 9" pie plate and press onto bottom and sides to form an even crust.
Chill for an hour until firm OR bake at 375-degrees for 5 min and allow to cool before filling. (Baking it and letting it cool is faster)

For the filling:
Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
With electric mixer beat the egg yolks until they are thick and turn to a light yellow (it takes a while, just keep beating).
Slowly add sweetened condensed milk while mixing on a low speed.
Zest 1 lime, then juice it. Pour the fresh lime juice into a 1/2 cup measuring cup then fill the cup with the Key Lime juice to make a full 1/2 cup of juice. (I like the Nellie & Joe's Famous Key West Lime Juice.)
Gradually add the lime juice and zest and continue to mix on a low speed just until blended.
Pour the mixture into the prepared pie shell and bake 15 minutes. Remove and let cool.
Serve with a garnish of whipped topping and a small slice of lime if desired.

No comments: