I love fried rice! I also love all the fried Chinese food that usually comes with it, although I try not to make that too often since it is all so unhealthy! I do allow for fried rice a little more often than the other stuff (wontons, sweet and sour pork, etc.) because it's tasty and easy! The kids will like this one someday. Right now they tend to pick out what they like--which is rice and eggs. Steve and I always like fried rice though and the leftovers taste pretty good for lunch the next day too!
FRIED RICE
Ingredients:
About 4-5 cups cooked rice, cold
Chopped ham (however much you like, I think it's about 8-10 thin slices for us)
3-4 green onions
Eggs (we usually use 4 or 5)
Frozen peas
Vegetable or canola oil
Soy Sauce
Fish Sauce (or can use oyster sauce)
Make rice the night before and keep in the fridge (or even better: use leftover rice from another meal!) It's important that the rice be cold to have good fried rice.
Scramble eggs in a skillet. Then preheat oil in a large skillet. It's best to have everything chopped and ready to go since this goes so quickly! Fry ham for a couple minutes and then add green onions for another 30 seconds to a minute. Add rice and break apart and cook, constantly mixing. Add a couple handfuls of frozen peas. Splash some soy sauce on--probably a few Tablespoons. Add a couple splashes of fish sauce, maybe a Tablespoon or so. Don't skip out on this part! I think fish sauce is the ingredient that makes the difference between good fried rice and GREAT just-like-takeout fried rice. Stir fry for a few minutes, adding more soy sauce if needed. Add in egg near the end and cook another minute or so. And then you're done!
Very tasty! And very easy to adapt to your likes/dislikes!
Served with: Popcorn Chicken Salad
No comments:
Post a Comment