I figure that even though I'm not taking pictures of my food these days, I'm still cooking! And so I should still be posting. So over the next little while I'll be trying to add some recipes that we've tried and liked from the last couple of months or so.
I like to watch the Food Network. No big surprise, eh? The thing is, I like to watch it, but I rarely, RARELY ever make anything I see on it. The recipes are usually just too fancy, too time-consuming, too expensive or just too not-kid-friendly for me and our family. One of the shows I really like to follow is The Next Food Network Star--basically a reality show following a group of people who think they could have their own show on the Food Network. Last season I watched it and wanted Melissa to win from the get-go. She's a mom of several really young children and her food always sounded and looked really good (and the judges said it was.) Anyway, I thought if anyone was going to make a show with food I'd actually cook, it was her. And guess what? She won! And so I'm going to try some of her recipes and see if they are easy and tasty and inexpensive.
The first I tried was the Crispy-Skinned Chicken a l'Orange. Sounds kinda fancy, but it's not really. I made this with her other recipe Perfect Crispy Potatoes (which I'll put in a different post.) I thought this chicken was really tasty. It was a little more labor-intensive than some recipes, but not bad overall and I'll definitely make it again. I might try this with boneless skinless chicken next time or just boneless--does that exist? I used chicken thighs this time because I had them on hand so maybe I'll try the chicken breasts next time before making changes--I just thought it was kind of a pain to de-bone the chicken after cooking it.
Anyway, here's the recipe:
CRISPY-SKINNED CHICKEN A L'ORANGE
courtesy of Melissa d'Arabian and from her show $10 Dinners
recipe found here
Ingredients:
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (I didn't use kosher)
3 skin-on bone-in chicken breast halves (I used thighs this time)
1 T. vegetable oil
1/2 cup frozen orange juice concentrate
4 T. honey
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Liberally salt and pepper the chicken breast halves. Heat the oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat and sear the chicken, skin side only, until brown and beginning to crisp, about 5 min.
Meanwhile, make the orange glaze: In a small saucepan, heat the orange juice concentrate, honey and salt and pepper to taste over medium heat, and boil for 3 min. Remove from heat.
Turn the chicken over and brush each piece with the glaze. Turn the chicken skin side up and transfer the pan to the oven. Bake until the internal temp. reaches 160-170 degrees, brushing on more glaze halfway through (I think I forgot to do that), about 15 min. in total. (I think it took mine closer to 25 min. or so.) Let chicken rest for 10 min. on a cutting board. Remove the chicken breast from the bone and slice the meat on the bias. Transfer the chicken to a serving platter and serve.
No comments:
Post a Comment