Friday, September 18, 2009

Perfect Crispy Potatoes

This is the other Melissa d'Arabian recipe that I have tried so far. This method of cooking potatoes is a mix of frying, steaming and baking them and so it is a little more labor-intensive and pan-dirtying than just sticking with frying or baking/roasting. BUT, I have to say that the potatoes sure turned out yummy! Crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. I might not always make our potato side dishes this way, but I will definitely do this again. Yum!

PERFECT CRISPY POTATOES
from Melissa d'Arabian on $10 Dinners, recipe found here

Ingredients:
1/4 cup vegetable oil (I used canola)
3 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (I didn't use kosher)
3 T. water
1 T. unsalted butter

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In large saute pan, heat the oil over med-high heat. Add the potato cubes and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Saute stirring frequently, for 5 min. Turn the heat up to high, add the water, stir, and cover the pan with a lid. Steam the potatoes until the water evaporates, about 3 or 4 more minutes. (Every 1-2 minutes, open the lid long enough to stir the potatoes so they won't stick.) Lower the heat to medium, and saute another 1-2 min. until all traces of water are gone. Toss in the butter and stir to coat the potatoes. Spread the potatoes out on a baking sheet. Bake in the oven until the potatoes are crisp and browned to your liking, about 15-25 min. (I kept them in closer to 25 min.) depending on how dark you want them. Transfer the potatoes to a serving bowl and serve.

No comments: