Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Chicken Parmesan

Another Food Nanny recipe.  I really like this method of making Chicken Parmesan because it means I actually could make it on a weeknight!  Usually I'm use the stove and the oven and it's just too time consuming and too many dishes, but this turned out really good and was really simple too!

CHICKEN PARMESAN
(from The Food Nanny Rescues Dinner Again cookbook)

1/2 lb spaghetti, cooked
2 t. salt
4 small boneless, skinless chicken breasts, flattened
1 egg, beaten
1 cup homemade bread crumbs*
1/2 t. Italian seasoning
2 T. unsalted butter
1 3/4 homemade marinara or storebought spaghetti sauce
1/2 cup pasta water, or more
1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese, grated
1 T. fresh Parmesan cheese, grated

1. Cook spaghetti
2. Flatten chicken to even thickness (I usually save my old tortilla bags to do this in.)
3. Beat egg in shallow dish.  In blender, process bread until crumbs.  Place in shallow dish and stir in Italian seasoning.  Dip chicken into egg, then in crumbs to coat.
4. In large fry pan over medium heat, melt the butter.  Brown the chicken on both sides.  Add the spaghetti sauce and 1/2 cup pasta water.  Reduce the heat to low; cover and simmer for 10 min.  Sprinkle both cheeses on top.  Cover and simmer again for 5 min. or until the cheese melts.  If sauce is too thick, add more pasta water (I didn't need to do this.)  Serve over drained hot spaghetti.

*I keep the heels of bread that no one wants to eat in our freezer for times like these.

No comments: