Sunday, April 19, 2009

Breakfast Parfaits



This is one of those recipes I printed from a blog (castsugar.blogspot.com) and finally got around to making it. I love the fruit and yogurt parfaits at McDonalds and have been wanting to recreate something similar at home. The McD.'s ones probably aren't very healthy for you and I'd rather have something I can make whenever the craving strikes anyway. These were pretty good. I'll probably try out some other granola recipes and see if I can come up with the perfect parfait combo!

BREAKFAST PARFAITS
(I found it here, although this blogger credits the Barefoot Contessa at Home 2006 for the recipe)

Ingredients:
1 cup quick-cooking (not instant) rolled oats
1/2 cup sweetened, shredded coconut
1/2 cup sliced or silvered almonds
3 T. vegetable oil (I used canola)
2 T. honey
2 cups of your favorite fruit, diced if needed (mmm, strawberries)
2 cups plain or vanilla yogurt (or flavored if you prefer)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Toss the oats, coconut, almonds, oil, and honey together in a large bowl until they are completely combined. Pour onto a sheet pan and bake, stirring occasionally with a spatula, until the mixture turns a nice, even golden brown, about 20 min.
Remove the granola from the oven and allow to cool, stirring once.
Combine the fruit in a bowl. In 4 glasses, layer first the fruit, then the yogurt, and the cooled granola alternately until you fill the glasses.

Yummy!

P.S. Ever since I got on this parfait kick, I've been giving the kids cut up strawberries and bananas in yogurt for breakfast sometimes and they love it!

No comments: