Monday, April 20, 2009

Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal Mix

We have been trying to find ways to save money and be healthier lately (and those two things don't usually go well together!) One of the changes I've made lately in the kids' diets is to make quick-cooking oatmeal for breakfast for them instead of the little packets of expensive sugary instant oatmeal. I already made oatmeal for myself a couple times a week for breakfast and so I just needed to make a little more to share with the kiddos.

To ease them into the transition I found this copycat recipe online that's supposed to recreate the Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal packets. I don't think it really tastes like the packets, but it's a good flavor and the kids seem to like it. I can definitely taste the pumpkin pie spice in it. I might try to find some other mixes like this and see what the kids like best.

P.S. Jackson and Autumn are both doing well with the real oatmeal. The texture is a little thicker, which is taking Jackson a little time to get used to, but Autumn just gobbles this stuff up!

MAPLE BROWN SUGAR OATMEAL MIX FOR BREAKFAST
(from recipezaar.com)

Ingredients
1/2 cup non-dairy powdered coffee creamer
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

For each batch of oatmeal
2/3 cup quick-cooking oat
1/3-1/2 cup boiling water

Directions
1 Combine the first seven ingredients and mix well; store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 6 months; this will make about 9 servings of oatmeal.
2 To prepare: Combine oats and 2 tablespoons of oatmeal mix; add enough boiling water until oatmeal is desired consistency.
3 Sprinkle with additional brown sugar if desired.

These are the original instructions. I made the spice mix exactly like the recipe, but I prepare the oatmeal a little differently. I cook my oatmeal on the stove and put it in bowls and then sprinkle some of the spice mixture on top and then add a little bit of milk. Voila!

No comments: