I have to preface this recipe by saying that I'm not the biggest fan of stroganoff. It just is such a heavy meal and always tastes so rich that I can't eat very much (maybe that's the point!) Anyway, I do make it occasionally nonetheless. I found this recipe on a blog and decided to try it because: 1. it was easy 2. it used a crockpot and 3. it only had 1/2 cup sour cream in the whole thing, which I thought would make it lighter than my usual recipe and Autumn could tolerate it.
Verdict: It wasn't bad and I'll probably make it again. It's still stroganoff, so not my favorite meal, but it was so easy to make that I can't complain. And it really did taste fine. Next time I think I'll freeze the leftovers and save them for a meal a month later or so because no one really wanted to eat stroganoff leftovers and they mostly just sat in the fridge until I had to throw them out. Does anyone know if it would freeze well even if it has some sour cream in it?
THE ULTIMATE BEEF STROGANOFF
(found on http://24hourmenu.blogspot.com/2008/11/ultimate-beef-stroganoff.html)
Put in crock pot:
2-3 lbs. stew meat
1 t. salt
dash of pepper
1 onion, sliced
Mix in a bowl and pour over meat:
1/4 t. garlic salt
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
1-1/2 cups beef broth or stock
1 T. ketchup
Cook in crockpot on low for 7-8 hours or high for 4-5 hours. When cooked make a simple roux by whisking 1/3 cup flour with enough apple juice (about 5-6 T.) to make a thick but still pourable flour mixture. Whisk the roux into the crockpot and add 4 oz. sliced mushrooms.
Cook on high for 15-30 min. Then stir in 1/2 cup sour cream. Serve over pasta, rice or baked potatoes (we used egg noodles.)
2 comments:
I'm printing out the recipe now!
I finally tried the recipe and got thumbs up at our house. For some my younger two are not big on egg noodles. I will have to try it over rice next time.
Keep up the good work!
Post a Comment