Friday, February 27, 2009

Wontons



We make these wontons maybe once a year or so. I love Chinese food but I don't make these a ton because they are time-consuming and fried and thus not-so-healthy for you. This time I made the whole batch and froze everything we didn't eat so we can have some next time I make fried rice. Since I try not to fry our food very much, I'm not a very experienced fryer. It's something I'd like to get down eventually, although I don't want to spend a lot of time frying foods, so I don't know if I'll ever really get it. Oh well. I also don't really shape these into traditional looking wontons--I just leave them in a triangle shape because that's about all the patience I have for these things. BUT I do want to say that these are very, very tasty! A delicious side to a Chinese meal!

WONTONS
(from The Essential Mormon Cookbook)

1 lb. sausage
1 egg
4 oz. fresh or canned tiny shrimp (optional)
1 (4-oz.) can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
3/4 cup finely chopped celery
4 green onions, finely chopped
1/2 t. Accent (I just used salt this time since you're not supposed to have MSG while prego)
1 package wonton skins
cooking oil
1 recipe Wonton Sauce (see below)

Brown sausage. Drain off fat and remove sausage to a large bowl. Add all other ingredients except wonton skins, oil and sauce. Place about 1 t. of the sausage mixture into the middle of each wonton skin. Fold into triangle shape, moistening and pinching edges together. Then pinch long ends together and twist into crescent shape.

Heat oil in electric frying pan to 375 degrees. Drop wontons in oil (about 6 at a time.) Turn over when lightly golden to cook other side. Then drain on paper towels. Wontons may be frozen and reheated. Makes about 40. Serve with Wonton Sauce.

WONTON SAUCE
(makes a lot!)

1-1/3 cups packed brown sugar
1-1/3 cups pineapple juice
1/2 cup vinegar
2 t. ketchup
2 t. soy sauce
1/2 t. garlic salt
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup water

In a medium saucepan bring brown sugar, pineapple juice, vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce, and garlic salt to a boil. Thicken with cornstarch mixed with water. Cook one more minute.

2 comments:

Britt O. said...

oooooooooooo i want those. they look so so so good. Aimee, KI am counting down the days until you are here. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

~ Roxanne said...

Steve has it soooo good!