Sunday, August 24, 2008

Shepherd's Pie





Yum! We really love this Shepherd's Pie recipe. We make it fairly often in the winter--it's good, warm comfort food. Jackson and Autumn both ate some of this tonight and Autumn even had seconds! By the way, the cheese-less part of the dish seen in the picture is Autumn's portion since she has dairy issues.

A lot of Shepherd's Pie recipes don't taste great without lots of ketchup, but this one has canned tomato soup in it already and so it doesn't need the ketchup. This meal isn't exactly for dieters, but it could be worse. We try to go easy on the cheese topping. Also, this meal takes a little bit more time than most my weeknight meals. I can usually get this done in an hour or so and I can only get away with that because I do about 30 min. prep work and then it just bakes for 30 min. so I can give my attention back to my children during the bake time. I've also made this ahead of time (in the morning or during nap time) and put it in the refrigerator until time to bake, which works great too (it may take just a tad longer to bake). I bet it would freeze well too--I did make it and freeze it once for Steve before I left to go out of town with the kids, but he can't remember how it turned out (which means it was probably fine).

SHEPHERD'S PIE
(from The Essential Mormon Cookbook)

1 lb. ground beef
1 T. olive oil
1/2 c. chopped onion
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1 (14-oz) can green beans, drained (we like french-style)
1 (10 3/4-oz) can tomato soup
6 potatoes, peeled, boiled and mashed
1/2 c. milk
1 t. salt
2 c. grated cheddar cheese

Brown ground beef in olive oil. Add onion, salt, and pepper and sauté until onion is tender. Put into a greased 9x13 dish. Top with drained green beans. Spread tomato soup over beans. Combine mashed potatoes, milk and salt. Mix well. Spoon potatoes over mixture. Top with grated cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. Makes 6-8 servings.

Note: I've tried to sub instant mashed potatoes for the homemade ones and it did not turn out very well--it tasted overly salty and was very watery. It's worth the extra time to mash up your own taters for this one!

6 comments:

Britt O. said...

ooo I've got to try this one soon. we love shepherd's pie!

CLAMES said...

Aimee! I love this (the blog)! I've been wanting to do something like this, but have been so lazy.
Good Job!

Alma said...

Of course I had to check your food blog out and will keep myself posted. I've made this shepherd's pie before, along with a bunch of other things from that same cookbook. Tom LOVES the Hamburger Harvest soup. Without fail, he describes it as "it's so hearty!"

Alma said...

PS- Only a goat farm boy would say that.

CLAMES said...

I have the same cookbook too, but have never made this before. After seeing this picture, I decided to make it tonight for dinner. Thanks!

Cheramie said...

i made this tonight, we loved it!