After Alma's comment on the Shepherd's Pie post (I think that was the one) about this soup, I thought we'd better try it. And yes, it is so hearty! Haha.
This soup was great because it's full of veggies and you just feel good when you eat it. Plus, the kids ate plenty of it (puréed, of course--I wonder when we'll get out of that rut!) and I am always happy when I know my kids are eating vegetables. This recipe made enough for two full meals and so we ended up having it two different nights for dinner. I should probably say too that we used the canned vegetables rather than the fresh options. Definitely the easier way to go.
HARVEST HAMBURGER SOUP
(from The Essential Mormon Cookbook)
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 onion, chopped
2 (10.5-oz) cans beef consommé
2 cups water
1-1/2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes or 1 (12-oz) can diced tomatoes
2 T. sugar
1-1/2 cups fresh corn or 1 (11-oz) can corn
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
4 potatoes, peeled and diced
1 t. taco seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
Brown ground beef and onion. In a large saucepan combine all ingredients except cheese. Cook uncovered until vegetables are tender (I simmered mine for probably not quite 30 min.). Add grated cheese to individual servings. Makes 6 servings.
Served with hot homemade rolls--yum!
No comments:
Post a Comment