Friday, September 19, 2008

Schnitzel



Ich möchte das Schnitzel, bitte!
Another fried food, I know, but I consider having lived in Germany for 4 years or so of my life has given me the right to make a schnitzel every now and again. This picture isn't the greatest because I burnt my schnitzel a little bit (got busy doing other things). But it still tasted fine.

I'm including the whole recipe even though I didn't follow it exactly. I halved it because my family is still so small and I didn't make the dill sauce so I don't know if it's any good or not, although it sounds good to me. Schnitzel usually does have some kind of sauce with it, but I was already making gravy for the mashed potatoes and didn't want another sauce. So if you try the sauce let me know! I'll probably try the sauce next time.

We liked this meal. I think Jackson ate some mashed potatoes and that's it, but Autumn loved her "pork nuggets" and even had seconds! By the way, you have to serve potatoes with schnitzel. Schnitzel just isn't schnitzel without potatoes.

PORK SCHNITZEL
(from The Taste of Home Cookbook)

Ingredients:
6 boneless pork cutlets (1/2 inch thick)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 t. seasoned salt
1/2 t. pepper
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1-1/2 cups dry bread crumbs
2 t. paprika
6 T. vegetable oil

Dill Sauce:
1-1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
2 T. all-purpose flour
1/2 t. dill weed
1 cup (8 oz) sour cream

1. Flatten pork cutlets to 1/4 inch thickness. In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, seasoned salt and pepper. In another bowl, beat eggs and milk. In another bowl, combine bread crumbs and paprika. Dip cutlets into flour mixture, then into egg mixture and coat with crumb mixture.

2. In a large skillet, cook pork in oil, a few pieces at a time, for 3-4 minutes per side or until meat is no longer pink. Remove to a platter; keep warm.

3. For sauce, pour 1 cup broth into skillet, scraping bottom of pan to loosen browned bits. Combine flour and remaining broth until smooth; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil. Cook; stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Stir in dill and sour cream; heat through (do not boil). Pour over pork.

Yield: 6 servings.

Served with: mashed potatoes and salad

No comments: