Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Taco Soup


I was going to get a shot of this in a bowl with toppings because I think it looks more attractive that way, but I got hungry and distracted and so I forgot.

We really like this recipe. It's fast, easy and very tasty. I would consider it to be fairly healthy--healthy enough to make a good, solid dinner, but not health-nut healthy, if that makes sense. It also depends how much cheese you add and how many chips you dip in it. (I didn't even eat chips with mine tonight and it was still great!) I also love this dinner because Jackson and Autumn both will eat it if I puree it in our little mini food processor first. And they both had seconds tonight!

I got this recipe from my mom and I think it's almost exactly like the one in The Essential Mormon Cookbook, but I've made just a couple changes to it, resizing it for our family and such.

TACO SOUP

1 lb. ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cups water
2 (14.5 oz) cans stewed tomatoes
1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, undrained
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce (I try to use "no salt added" since there's so much in the kidney beans)
1 (1-5/8 oz) envelope Taco seasoning mix (sometimes we use less, like 1/2 a pkg.)
1 avocado, peeled, seeded and chopped
Grated cheddar cheese
Tortilla Chips
Sour Cream

Brown the beef and onion, drain excess fat. Add water, tomatoes, beans, tomato sauce and taco seasoning. Simmer 15 minutes. Add avocado just before serving. Serve with cheese, corn chips and sour cream as toppings.

1 comment:

~ Roxanne said...

I will have to try this recipe out! Hunter has recently become a chili fan.

My sister had a recipe using V8 juice that didn't go over very well.

I also often use only 1/2 a packet of Taco seasoning when I cook. There is also a lot of salt in it. I usually buy the Great Values brand because it is cheeper. The McCormick brand I believe carries a 30% less sodium choice.