Monday, September 8, 2008

Quiche


Quiche seems to be a dish that inspires most adults to say, "Quiche...yum!" and most kids to say, "Quiche...yuck!" Well sometime in my growing up years I switched over from the yuck to yum and now I really like it! Of course, I try not to make it too often because it is quite fattening! Especially my favorite quiche recipe. I do make ones with spinach and healthier things sometimes, but this one remains my favorite. Warning: Do not make this on Fast Sundays. We just realized this yesterday. It is so rich and you can't eat very much of it, but you're bound to overlook that if you're really hungry. Steve was feeling a little queasy last night and I think it was from eating too much quiche!

QUICHE
(from my mom)

Ingredients:
2 c. grated Swiss cheese
1 onion, chopped
4 eggs, beaten
1 lb. bacon (or a little less), chopped
1 pie crust (I'm usually lazy and buy the frozen ones)
3 oz evaporated milk
Pinch of salt and cayenne peppers (sometimes I leave this out)
Paprika

Cook chopped bacon with onion until soft. Drain excess fat. Line bottom of pie crust with bacon-onion mixture. Fill crust with cheese and then pour in beaten eggs and milk (I usually mix the eggs and milk together first). Sprinkle top with paprika.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hour, sometimes a little less.

Served with a side salad.

No comments: