Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Chicken Enchiladas




This is our favorite chicken enchilada recipe ever. I got this recipe from Carrie Melville (now Mitchell), who was a roommate of mine at BYU. We used to make these enchiladas for some Sunday dinners and we could eat and eat and eat them! I have since passed this recipe on to my family and now they are my sister Bonnie's favorite meal (she actually just requested them for her birthday dinner.)

The first picture is of the chicken mix I make up before putting it into the enchiladas--so good! I usually half this recipe if making it for just my family and it easily fills a 9x13 pan full. The full recipe usually makes 2 pans full when I make it. Someday Jackson will appreciate this meal (he skipped dinner tonight) and hopefully Autumn will grow out of this dairy thing and she'll get some too (leftover spaghetti for her tonight, poor kid.)

Chicken Enchiladas à la Carrie

Ingredients:
12 flour tortillas (or more)
4 chicken breasts cooked and chopped (I use one of my frozen shredded chicken bags I mentioned on another post, thawed)
3 tomatoes, diced (or sometimes more depending on size of tomatoes)
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1/2 lb. grated cheddar cheese
1/2 lb. grated Monterey Jack cheese
1 small can green chilis, chopped

Sauce:
2 cans cream of chicken
2 c. sour cream
1 c. milk
1 1/2 T. soy sauce
Mix together.

Mix chicken, tomatoes, onions, chilis and half of cheeses together. Put a spoonful of chicken mixture down center of tortilla. Put a spoonful of sauce over mixture. Roll up tortilla and place seam side down in a greased baking dish. Pour rest of sauce over tortillas and top with rest of the grated cheeses. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes until bubbly.
Yield: 12 servings.

Served with a side salad.

1 comment:

CLAMES said...

Mmm...I made these last week. They were a huge hit with Conrad. Thanks!